Divorce Attorneys in San Diego
California is a no fault divorce state, the reason for the divorce is complete irrelevant. Additionally, California is a no contest state meaning if one party wants a divorce the court will grant a divorce. The process will take at minimum six months to complete as the court requires a six month cooling off period. The clock starts ticking when the petition for dissolution if filed AND served on the other party. During that time, it is best to gather all financial documents needed to prove the true value of the marital estate to properly divide all assets and debts.
Depending on the level of communication and civility between the parties, an uncontested dissolution can be sought. If both parties are agreeable about how to reach a full settlement, it can end up saving a lot of time and money. Uncontested dissolution is particularly helpful when the parties have an idea of how they would like to divide their assets and debts. If an agreement cannot be reached then the parties have to engage in a contested dissolution.
Divorce is usually not a simple process. Commonly many complex issues can arise, particularly when it comes to financial matters. In divorces where many assets are at stake, financial issues often pose special difficulties. We’ll work to secure your best interest in resolving these issues, which may include:
We’ll work to secure your best interest in resolving these issues, which may include:
- Divisions or buy-outs of interests in family businesses either when the business was opened before marriage or during marriage;
- Complex valuation issues of the marital estate;
- Issues relating to retirement benefits, stocks and bonds, social security, and health insurance;
- Securing spousal support in a long term marriage where one spouse stayed at home;
- Obtaining custody orders allowing both parents equal access to the children;
- Division of military retirement benefits and survivor benefits;
- Allocating debt between both parties or dissolving through a bankruptcy;
- Calculating income available for support when one spouse is self employed; and
- Division of the marital residence
Many of these issues can be complex and difficult to work through while dealing with the emotions of a divorce. We offer Divorce Mediation to help you get through this rough time.
San Diego Divorce Lawyer Expertise
In California it is possible to terminate marital status first and resolve other issues afterwards. If you wish, our lawyers will seek an early and separate trial to terminate your marital status.
In this difficult and important process, Minella Law Group’s divorce attorneys will support you and work to protect your personal and financial well-being through diligent investigation, careful analysis, and experienced advocacy.Schedule a Divorce Consultation